Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as S.B. 27, allows residents of California to request certain information regarding our disclosures in the prior calendar year, if any, of personally identifiable information to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes. Mastercard respects your privacy and does not sell or lease your data to third parties. However, when you use your Masterpass wallet to make purchases with merchants, Mastercard provides your personal data to merchants so they can process the transaction. Some merchants may use the data they receive about you through that transaction to send you direct marketing communications without collecting your affirmative opt-in.
If you are a resident of California and would like to obtain information about the merchants who use the personal data collected through Masterpass to directly market to you and the type of data provided to them through Masterpass, please contact Mastercard at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the “Request for California Privacy Information” in the subject line of your email. Mastercard will attempt to provide you with requested information within thirty days of receipt.
- What is Masterpass?
- Masterpass is a digital wallet that simplifies the checkout process across your purchases online, in-app, and in-store with one secure account. No long checkout forms, forgotten passwords, or fumbling for a wallet. Just create your account and load any participating credit or debit card to get started.
- How do I use Masterpass to buy something online or in an app?
- Once you are ready to check out, click or tap the Masterpass button. If you already have an account, then simply sign in and choose the payment card and shipping address you wish to use. All of those details will be used to make a secure purchase, and you’re done.
- How do I use a Masterpass Android™ app to buy something at a store location?
- To make in-store payments, you'll need an Android™ phone running Kit Kat (4.4) or higher with support for NFC (Near Field Communication) and HCE (Host Card Emulation).
Once you have a Masterpass app, there are 2 ways to Tap & Pay in-store:
From the app:
- Launch the app and choose the card you would like to use
- Touch the “Tap & Pay” button at the bottom of the screen
- Enter your 4-digit PIN
- Hold your phone just above the terminal and wait to see the ✓ on your screen
From the unlocked home screen:
- Unlock phone and hold it against the contactless terminal without opening the app
- Enter your 4-digit PIN
- Place your phone over the terminal once again until you see the ✓
Note: Go to your device settings to make Masterpass your default Tap & Pay service
- Why do I have to receive a code when I already have an account?
- If this is your first time checking out with your wallet on this browser, you may need to simply have to sign in and authenticate via a onetime code that will be sent to your phone or email. Then choose your card and shipping address to continue with your purchase.
- Can I add any card to my Masterpass account?
- Yes, you can add any major credit or debit card to your account for purchases online and in apps. Only certain cards can be used to make payments at store locations with the Android™ app (see participating banks).
- What cards can I use to make payments in stores?
- To make payments at stores with the Masterpass by Mastercard Android™ app, you must have a Mastercard from one of these participating banks—with more added soon.
- Associated Bank
- First Tech Federal Credit Union
- People’s United Bank
- Security Service Federal Credit Union
- Virginia Credit Union
Other Masterpass bank apps that can make in-store payments include:
- Is Masterpass safe to use?
- Your Masterpass account comes with multi-tiered security to help keep your information private. Plus when you check out in stores using the Android™ app, a unique number is shared with the merchant instead of your actual card details, which means your information is protected. Masterpass is the only digital wallet from Mastercard, so you can shop with confidence.
- Are there any additional fees when using the Masterpass service?
- There are no additional fees or charges to use Masterpass. If you receive notifications about your account by text message, you may incur standard messaging fees from your mobile phone carrier.
- Where can I use Masterpass today?
- You can use Masterpass online or in app wherever you see the Masterpass button; look for the contactless symbol at checkout when you are in-store. Visit our Featured Merchants section of our site to see just some of the many participating merchants.
- What should I do if my mobile device is lost or stolen?
- Your actual card information is not on your device and Masterpass comes with multi-tiered security to help keep your information protected. For extra security, you may want to change your password by signing into your online account.